There’s a heap of opportunity to become a hospital volunteer in San Diego.
From University-estabilished programs, to private healthcare auxiliaries, there’s a lot here for adults, teenagers, healthcare students and anyone else interested in giving back to the local community.
Have a read over the following programs and find something that hopefully fits.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in San Diego, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
List Of Opportunities for Medical/Hospital Volunteers In San Diego
Alvarado Hospital is proud of its volunteers who serve all areas of the hospital. Volunteers can choose to work at information desk, gift shop, patient care areas, emergency department, surgical waiting room, and many other opportunities.
Volunteers must commit to at least one four-hour shift weekly for one year.
Below is a summary of different volunteer opportunities:
- Emergency Department
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- Patient Care
- Religious Support/Chaplains/Priests
- Surgical Waiting Room
- Other Opportunities
- Name: Alvarado Hospital
- Location: 6655 Alvarado Road, San Diego, CA 92120
- Contact: AlvaradoVolunteer@primehealthcare.com
- Phone: 619-229-4619
- Website: https://www.alvaradohospital.com/about-us/volunteer-opportunities/
Edgemoor Geriatric Hospital Volunteers
Volunteers play a key role at Edgemoor by providing special services to residents and staff.
The need for volunteers is great and the rewards are even greater. It is an opportunity to serve, grow, learn, make new friends and contribute to our community.
Volunteers do all sorts of things at Edgemoor depending on their own strengths and the needs of the residents
Volunteers at Edgemoor need to complete an application, undergo a background check and attend orientation. All volunteers must be at least 18 years old. They ask for a commitment of at least six months, and at least four hours a month.
- Name: Edgemoor Geriatric Hospital
- Location: 655 Park Center Dr, Santee, CA 92071
- Contact: Anne.Monaco@sdcounty.ca.gov
- Website: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/bhs/inpatient_health_services_edgemoor/volunteer_opportunities.html
Family Health Centers of San Diego Volunteer Services
The Volunteer Services Program was launched in 2015 to support the mission of providing caring, affordable, high-quality health care and supportive services to everyone, as well as enhance connections to the community.
Becoming a Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) volunteer not only changes the lives of others but makes a remarkable impact on your life as well.
Volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age to apply
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours to volunteer service
- Complete a background check and a health screening, including annual TB testing
- Have a passion for community health
Student Internship Programs are available. See website for more info.
- Name: Family Health Centers of San Diego
- Location: Family Health Centers of San Diego, 823 Gateway Center Way, San Diego, California 92102
- Phone: (619) 515-2300
- Website: https://www.fhcsd.org/volunteer-opportunities/
Kaiser Permanente San Diego
Kaiser Permanente San Diego is now accepting applications for adult and junior (ages 16 or 17) volunteers to assist our vaccination centers at the following locations:
- San Diego Medical Center
- San Marcos Medical Offices
- Vista Medical Offices
- Otay Mesa Medical Offices
- La Mesa Medical Offices
Adult hospital volunteer opportunities are also available. See the website for more info.
They ask for a 6-month commitment of one four hour shift per week. In order to be accepted, you will need to pass an interview, background check, and complete a Health Clearance screening (at no cost to you).
- Name: Kaiser Permanente San Diego
- Location: Various Locations
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/care-near-you/southern-california/san-diego/community-events/volunteer-services/
Palomar Health Volunteer Services
Palomar Health has more than 500 volunteers in a variety of assignments at their district facilities, including Palomar Medical Center Escondido, Palomar Medical Center Poway, San Marcos Ambulatory Care Center and Poway Outpatient Pavilion.
They assist volunteers with finding a suitable assignment based on skills, preferences, location, and experience and hours needed for healthcare college applications and courses.
If you are at least 18 years old, can commit to 100 hours of volunteer service over one year and are interested in volunteering with Palomar Health, check out their website and apply.
- Name: Palomar Medical Center Escondido
- Location: 2185 Citracado Parkway, Escondido, CA 92029
- Phone: (442) 281-4073
- Website: https://www.palomarhealth.org/volunteer/volunteer-services
Rady Children’s Hospital
Rady Children’s truly value volunteers to help them deliver the world-class care their patients and families deserve.
From playing games with patients in the activity rooms to providing support for our community events – and everything in between – it is volunteers who make all the difference!
Due to Rady’s extensive training and dedication to quality, all hospital volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment (100 hours) to volunteer within the Hospital.
College Student Volunteers – Applications for college students (or age equivalent) are available twice a year and are accepted in January and in September.
Junior Volunteers – Rady Children’s Junior Volunteer program is open to high school students who are at least 16 years old. Junior volunteers work in several areas of the hospital including our Gift Shop and Information Desks.
Adult volunteer placements also available. See website for details.
- Name: Rady Children’s Hospital
- Location: 3020 Children’s Way MC 5005, San Diego, CA 92123
- Phone: 858.966.7878
- Website: https://www.radyfoundation.org/volunteer/opportunities
San Diego Medical Reserve Corps
The San Diego Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is a community-based group of local medical and health workers who can serve as volunteers during a local health emergency.
Volunteers will complete the minimum orientation before becoming active in the organization. After that, there is no weekly requirement of time for volunteers. Opportunities are available for leadership roles and additional training.
- Name: San Diego Medical Reserve Corps
- Contact: MRC-VOLCOORD.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov
- Phone: (858) 694-3900
- Website: https://www.scripps.org/about-us/volunteer
Scripps offers volunteer opportunities in a variety of areas. Plus, you’ll receive volunteer training in a professional, friendly environment, to make you feel comfortable and confident.
Volunteers must be age 15 and older and commit to volunteering at least three to four hours a week for a minimum of six months and completing 100 hours. High school applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Volunteer opportunities and the application processes vary by location. Contact the Scripps facility near you for details:
- Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Clinic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas (email@example.com)
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and Prebys Cardiovascular Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista (email@example.com)
- Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Name: Scripps Health
- Location: Various Locations
- Phone: 800-727-4777
- Website: https://www.scripps.org/about-us/volunteer
Sharp Medical Center Volunteers
Becoming a Sharp volunteer not only changes the lives of others, it makes a remarkable impact on your life as well.
Learn more about Sharp’s rewarding volunteer opportunities at each of the locations below.
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Volunteer Services – 619-502-3606
- Sharp Coronado Hospital Volunteer Services – 619-522-3672
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital Volunteer Services – 619-740-4059
- Sharp HospiceCare Volunteer Services – 619-667-1900
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns Volunteer Services – 858-939-3588
- Sharp Memorial Hospital Volunteer Services – 858-939-3588
- Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital Volunteer Services – 858-278-4110
- Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group Volunteer Services – 858-526-6159
- Name: Sharp Medical Centers
- Location: Various Locations
- Phone: 800-827-4277
- Website: https://www.sharp.com/volunteer/
Tri-City Hospital Auxliary
Open to individuals 18 years of age and older, Regular Volunteers make up the beating heart of Tri-City Hospital’s Auxiliary.
Once settled into one of the 20 different departments, Regular Volunteers perform a minimum of 100 hours of service each year, about eight hours per month, but most Volunteers work more frequently.
High School Volunteer positions available. Individuals must:
- Be a High School student age 15 through 18
- Participation must begin prior to the start of 12th grade
More info available here.
- Name: Tri-City Hospital
- Location: 4002 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA 92056
- Phone: (760) 940-3125
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://tricityhospitalvolunteers.org/volunteer-orientation/
UC San Diego Health Volunteers
UC San Diego Health volunteers perform tasks such as helping staff with patients, transporting and escorting patients in wheelchairs, and running errands to the pharmacy, labs and other areas.
Opportunities cover the following hospitals and healthcare centers:
- Jacobs Medical Center, La Jolla (includes Thornton Pavilion)
- Koman Family Outpatient Pavilion, La Jolla
- Moores Cancer Center, La Jolla
- Shiley Eye Institute, La Jolla
- Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, La Jolla
- UC San Diego Medical Center, Hillcrest
The latter has a student program in radiology for Mesa College students pursuing an education in the Radiology Technician Program.
- Name: UC San Diego Health
- Location: 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 858-657-7000
- Website: https://health.ucsd.edu/about/volunteer/Pages/opportunities.aspx
VA San Diego Healthcare System Volunteers
Volunteers are important members of the VA health care team and they appreciate their time, talents, and energy. Every day they help provide the highest quality of care to the men and women who served our country.
There are limited positions for volunteers at the VA San Diego Healthcare System including the Oceanside Outpatient Clinic Sorrento Valley, Mission Valley, Chula Vista, Miramar Cemetery, and the Aspire Center.
Interested Youth ages 16 – 18, please contact the Voluntary Service directly to sign up for Summer Youth Orientation.
- Name: VA San Diego Healthcare System Volunteers
- Contact: email@example.com
- Phone: (858) 642-3267
- Website: https://www.sandiego.va.gov/giving/
Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) San Diego
Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) San Diego is a nonprofit medical clinic serving low-income, uninsured families in San Diego County, California. We care for people who do not qualify for Medicare and have no insurance of any kind.
VIM are always looking for volunteers with a variety of skills and experience from doctors and nurses to support staff.
- Name: Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) San Diego
- Location: 1457 E. Madison Ave., El Cajon, CA 92019
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 619.440.4591
- Website: http://vim-sandiego.org/
San Diego is a great place for health volunteering. Hopefully this article has helped uncover several opportunities to get started with if you live in the city and the nearby area.
Found this article useful? You might find the following guide a good read:
- 11 Best Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Austin! (2021)
- 15 Best Opportunities For Hospital Volunteers In Philadelphia! (2021)
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In San Diego?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In San Diego?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
- Jacobs Medical Center, La Jolla (UC San Diego Health) Cuddler Program
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns Volunteer Services
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for highschoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first before you spend your time applying.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in digital marketing and journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.