Austin is a great city for people interested in medical or hospital volunteer opportunities.
In this article we’ll take a look at some of the best programs out there for people looking to give back to the Texas community in Austin and the surrounding area.
List of Hospital/Medical Volunteer Opportunities In Austin
UHS Clinic Volunteers
The University of Texas at Austin’s University Health Services (UHS) offer students opportunities for clinical experience and direct patient contact in the Women’s Health Clinic.
Duties include assisting healthcare providers and nursing staff with patient care, taking vital signs and performing point-of-care lab tests. Clinical volunteers must commit to at least four hours per week.
Open to lower and upper division undergraduates and graduates from any major or background. Enquire below if not affiliated with the school.
- Name: University of Texas at Austin
- Location: University Health Services, Office: SSB 2.404A, Campus Mail A3900, Austin, TX 78713-7339
- Phone: (512) 475-8349
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://healthyhorns.utexas.edu/volunteering.html
Austin State Hospital
The volunteer program at Austin State Hospital (ASH) has been dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of patients since 1952.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic the program has gone 100% virtual (see the video below for details). Check back periodically for in-person openings.
- Name: Austin State Hospital
- Location: 4110 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78751
- Phone: 512-419-2323
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.ashvolunteers.org/wp/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/
St. David’s HealthCare
St. David’s HealthCare volunteers have been a vital part of their healthcare team since 1955.
Opportunities exist across St. David’s North Austin, South Ausitn, Georgetown, Heart Hospital and Round Rock Medical Centers in Austin.
- Name: St. David’s Medical Center
- Location: 919 E 32nd St, Austin, TX 78705
- Phone: (512) 476-7111
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://stdavids.com/about/volunteering/
Dell Children’s Medical Center Volunteer Opportunities
Dell Children’s Blood & Cancer Center welcomes volunteers to help support their mission and provide outstanding healthcare for kids.
Internship, shadowing and research is via Seton Volunteers (more info later in this article).
- Name: Dell Children’s Children’s Blood & Cancer Center
- Location: 1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd., Suite 401, Austin, TX 78723
- Phone: 512-628-1900
- Website: https://www.dellchildrens.net/childrens-blood-and-cancer-center/support-us/
Volunteer Opportunities at Cedar Park
Volunteers are one of the most valuable resources as Cedar Park Regional Medical Center. Opportunities exist to support hospital staff and patients, improve patient care, learn new skills and develop new interests.
Teen Volunteer opportunities run each summer for young people (16-18 years) interesting in giving back to others.
- Name: Cedar Park Regional Medical Center
- Location: 1401 Medical Parkway, Cedar Park, TX 78613
- Phone: (512) 528-7119
- Website: https://www.cedarparkregional.com/volunteer-opportunities
Little Medical School
Little Medical School has volunteer positions available for anyone who loves working with children and presenting concepts in a fun and creative way.
Although it’s not strictly a hospital placement, Little Medical School looks for motivated individuals to lead a series of one hour classes with demonstrations, crafts and games, designed to teach kids how the body and organs work.
Can qualify as Community Service and provide Educational Credit.
- Name: Little Medical School
- Location: Greater Austin
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 512-543-7800
- Website: https://www.littlemedicalschool.com/greateraustin/join-our-team/
Volunteer Healthcare Clinic Austin
Volunteer Healthcare Clinic’s name says it all – it was set up by volunteers and volunteers continue at the heart of the operation.
Providing high quality health care to some of Austin’s most vulnerable residents for almost 50 years, volunteer opportunities exist for medical and non medical roles.
- Name: Volunteer Healthcare Clinic
- Location: 4215 Medical Pkway, Austin, Texas 78756
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 512-459-6002
- Website: http://www.volclinic.org/volunteer.html
Austin People’s Community Clinic
Austin People’s Community Clinic has a range of volunteer opportunities for pre-med and general students and anyone else interesting in lending a helping hand to the community.
Volunteers are expected to commit to one shift of 3-4 hours on a weekly basis. Opportunities exist for research, shadowing and interning.
- Name: Austin People’s Community Clinic
- Location: 1101 Camino La Costa, Austin, TX 78752
- Phone: 512-478-4939
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.austinpcc.org/support/volunteer/
Baylor Scott & White Medical Center (Austin/Round Rock)
Baylor Scott & White Health Medical Centers welcome volunteers from all walks of life, including professionals, homemakers, former patients, students and more.
You must be over 18 to apply. Positions are available at the information, surgical and imaging front desks.
- Name: Baylor Scott & White Medical Center
- Location: 300 University Blvd, Round Rock, TX 78665
- Phone: 512.509.9139
- Website: https://www.bswhealth.com/locations/round-rock/about/become-a-volunteer
Seton Volunteers organize programs actoss Dell Children’s Medical Center and Ascension Seton Centers.
Student and non-student volunteer opportunities are available for people over 18, throughout April, July and December.
- Name: Seton Foundations
- Location: 1345 Philomena Street Ste. 400 Austin, TX 78723
- Phone: 816.691.1684
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://supportseton.org/volunteer/
Red Cross – Central & South Texas
The American Red Cross is headquartered in Austin and has 5 local chapters operating in Central and South Texas regions, serving 7.1 million people.
90% of Red Cross Work Force are volunteers with the organization offering training and certification to people willing to dedicate time.
- Name: American Red Cross Central and South Texas Region
- Website: https://www.redcross.org/local/texas/central-and-south-texas.html
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In Austin?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In Austin?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Austin Hospital/Medical Volunteer Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for highschoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first.
Austin is a great place for health volunteering. Hopefully this article has helped uncover several opportunities to get started with.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in digital marketing and journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.