Houston has a lot to offer when it comes hospital volunteering.
For premeds, highschoolers, healthcare students, retirees or anyone else interested in giving time (and learning about) health careers, the opportunities on this list provide an excellent choice to do so.
Check out the programs listed below to find something right for you.
List of Medical/Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Houston
Harris Health Volunteer Opportunities
Harris Health currently have a limited number of virtual, contactless volunteer opportunities available for volunteers with internet and phone access.
Outside of the pandemic they are four types of volunteer opportunities: Patient Experience, Clinical Support, Support Services and Administrative.
Volunteer assignments exist at 3 locations:
- Ambulatory Care Services and Quentin Mease Volunteer Program
- Ben Taub Hospital Volunteer Program
- LBJ Hospital and Outpatient Center Volunteer Program
Volunteers can also assist with special events throughout the year such as blood drives, health fairs, holiday initiatives and single day activities.
There is also an estabilished junior volunteer program. See the video below for more info.
- Name: Harris Health Ben Taub Hospital
- Location: 1504 Ben Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 713-873-2881
- Website: https://www.harrishealth.org/give-hh/volunteer/Pages/volunteer-opportunities.aspx
Houston Methodist Volunteers
Houston Methodist volunteers play a vital role in the system’s hospitals across the Houston area. They offer positions in the following areas:
- Administrative offices
- Patient and unit involvement
- Hospital greeting and hospitality
- Promoting the healing environment
Benefits vary from meal vouchers to free flu shots.
- Name: Houston Methodist Hospital – Texas Medical Center
- Location: 6565 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030
- Phone: 713.790.3311
- Website: https://www.houstonmethodist.org/giving/volunteer/
Houston Physicians’ Hospital
Houston Physicians’ Hospital is searching for volunteers to work alongside our professional staff as they care for our patients and in other support services within the hospital.
- Name: Houston Physicians’ Hospital Volunteer Program
- Location: 333 N. Texas Avenue, Suite 1000, Webster, TX 77598
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (281) 557-5634
- Website: https://www.houstonphysicianshospital.com/volunteer-recruitment/
MD Anderson Cancer Center On-Site Volunteers
MD Anderson offers many on-site volunteer opportunities at their main campus, located in the Texas Medical Center, and Houston-area locations.
Volunteering at MD Anderson is a rewarding experience and truly at the heart of the institution. You’ll work alongside patients, caregivers, faculty and staff to help make a difference in the lives of cancer patients.
Adult volunteers fulfill a weekly commitment for a minimum of six months.
The College Volunteer Program is designed to provide students with a rewarding volunteer experience in health care settings.
- Name: MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Location: 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, Texas 77030
- Contact: email@example.com
- Phone: 713-792-JOIN
- Website: https://www.mdanderson.org/donors-volunteers/volunteer/how-to-get-involved.html
Memorial Hermann Health Volunteers
Exciting adult and teen volunteer opportunities are available throughout Memorial Hermann Health System.
Placements are available at several Memorial Hermann acute care hospitals, Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital and TIRR Memorial Hermann Physical Rehabilitation Hospital.
See website for details.
- Name: Memorial Hermann Health Group
- Location: 27800 Northwest Freeway, Cypress, Texas 77433
- Email: Cypress.Volunteers@memorialhermann.org
- Phone: 713.790.3311
- Website: https://memorialhermann.org/giving-back/volunteer
Northwest Hospital Volunteers
HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest is fortunate to enjoy the many services provided by its active volunteer programs, including the Auxiliary Volunteer Program, Volunteer Program and the Junior Volunteer Program.
The Auxiliary is comprised of just over 100 individuals ages 18-years and older who commit to volunteering at least once a week.
- Name: Northwest Hospital
- Location: 710 Cypress Creek Parkway, Houston, TX 77090
- Contact: Hughetta.Leavell@hcahealthcare.com
- Phone: (281) 440- 2435
- Website: https://hcahoustonhealthcare.com/locations/northwest/patients-and-visitors/northwest-hospital-volunteers
Ronald McDonald House Houston
Ronald McDonald House Houston individual volunteers help carry out the day-to-day operations at each of their four facilities.
Parking is free, scheduling is flexible and the volunteer experience is fulfilling! Volunteer shifts are available in three-hour blocks, 7 days a week from 9am to 9pm.
- High School Volunteer Program: Summer Fun Club
- RMH Houston Gap Year Program: Pre-Med Family-Centered Care
See the website for more details.
- Name: Ronald McDonald House Houston
- Location: 1907 Holcombe Blvd., Houston, TX 77030
- Phone: 713-795-3500
- Website: https://rmhhouston.org/individual-volunteers-application/
St. Joseph Medical Center Volunteers
St. Joseph Medical Center has an active and dedicated volunteer group that exemplifies the hospital’s mission of delivering compassionate healthcare to the communities that they serve.
The volunteer program, for both adults and teens (during the summer months), offers a variety of opportunities that are essential to the hospital.
- Name: St. Joseph Medical Center
- Location: 1401 St. Joseph Parkway, Houston, TX 77002
- Contact: Alyssa.Garcia@steward.org
- Phone: 713-757-7556
- Website: https://www.sjmctx.org/volunteers
St. Luke’s Health Volunteering
At CHI St. Luke’s Health, thousands of employees serve our patients and their families, visitors, and the community. Our volunteers also play key roles in making CHI St. Luke’s Health one of the nation’s top-ranked health systems.
For more information about volunteer opportunities in your area, select from these locations in Houston and the nearby area:
- Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
- Patients Medical Center
- Sugar Land Hospital
- The Vintage Hospital
- Brazosport Hospital
- The Woodlands Hospital, Springwoods Village Hospital, and Lakeside Hospital
See the individual programs for more info.
- Name: St. Luke’s Health
- Location: PO Box 20269, (MC 3-206), Houston, TX 77225
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (832) 355-1000
- Website: https://www.stlukeshealth.org/give/volunteering
Texas Children’s Hospital
The Volunteer Services Department at Texas Children’s Hospital is committed to maintaining an active program of support, compassion and quality service for the community of children and families they serve.
Become a part of a diverse group of over 800 active Auxiliary members who support patients, families and Hospital staff through a number of assignments throughout the Texas Children’s system.
Volunteer assignments exist at 3 locations:
- Texas Children’s Hospital & Pavilion for Women (Medical Center)
- Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus (Katy)
- Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands (The Woodlands)
Note: They do not offer opportunities for clinical exposure or shadowing medical staff
- Name: Memorial Hermann Health Group
- Location: Volunteer Services Department Suite. A1125, 6621 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 832-824-2257
- Website: https://www.texaschildrens.org/volunteer
The Woman’s Hospital of Texas Volunteers
Volunteers at The Woman’s Hospital of Texas give one of their most valuable assets – time. They offer several enriching volunteer opportunities:
- Child Life Cuddle Care Program
- Child Life Pediatric Unit Program
- Adult Care & Ancillary Support
- Junior Volunteer Program (Ages 15-18)
- Name: The Woman’s Hospital of Texas
- Location: 7600 Fannin, Houston, TX 77054
- Contact: Princy.Wallace@HCAHealthcare.com
- Phone: (713) 790-1234
- Website: https://womanshospital.com/about/volunteers.dot
West Houston Medical Center
Volunteers perform many vital services for patients, families and staff at the West Houston Medical Center and Sugar Land Diagnostic Center.
Volunteers help staff the information desks, gift shop, patient registration, emergency department, surgery waiting room, nursing units and administrative departments.
- Name: West Houston Medical Center
- Location: 12141 Richmond Ave., Houston TX, 77082
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 281-588-8164
- Website: http://westhoustonmedical.com/join-our-team/volunteers.do
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In Houston?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In Houston?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
- Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- The Women’s Hospital of Texas: Child Life Cuddle Care Program
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Houston Hospital Volunteer Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for highschoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first before you spend your time applying.
You can pick up useful medical supplies from nearby Houston stores recommended here.
Houston is a great place for health volunteering. Hopefully this article has helped uncover several opportunities to get started with if you live in the city and the nearby area.
Interested in other ways to give back or gain experience? Check out our hospital volunteer guides here.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in digital marketing and journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.