Medical volunteer opportunities in Miami have a lot to offer.
Home to many long estabilished hospitals, there are many chances here to learn more about healthcare, medicine and any other aspect of patient care.
The opportunities below are open to a range of people curious about healthcare.
You won’t get paid (obviously), but you can learn a whole lot and it’ll look good on any healthcare-related school application.
Ready to learn more? Let’s go.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in Miami, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
List of Hospital Volunteer Opportunities in Miami
Baptist Health Center
Miami’s Baptist Health Center offers both students and professionals the chance to observe Baptist Health clinicians engaging in patient care. Programs run year round.
Applicants can choose to shadow under the supervision of any consenting employee or medical staff member, including physicians. There’s opportunity to shadow on rounds, sit-in on teaching conferences and even observe procedures.
The Observer program is open to anyone over 16 who meets the application criteria. The period of observation is usually limited to four weeks.
The program is a strict volunteer program. There is no compensation, education or academic credit available via participation.
International applicants are also welcome to supply but will need a letter of support or good standing from a current academic institution or employer.
See the website for more details.
- Name: Baptist Health South Florida
- Location: 8950 North Kendall Drive, Suite 606W, Miami, FL 33176
- Phone: 786-596-2398
- Email: CME@BaptistHealth.net
- Website: learning.baptisthealth.net
Coral Gables Hospital
Volunteers gave up over half a million hours to Coral Gables Hospital in 2020. If you’d like to help them make a difference visit contact their hospital volunteer department today.
- Name: Coral Gables Hospital
- Location: 3100 Douglas Rd, Coral Gables, FL 33134
- Phone: (305) 461-6900
- Website: https://www.coralgableshospital.com/about/volunteer-with-us
Jackson Health System
Jackson Health offers volunteering opps across four of its main hospitals across Miami; Jackson Memorial Hospital, Jackson North Medical Center, Jackson South Community Hospital and Holtz Children’s Hospital.
Volunteers are asked to commit to four hours per week and a minimal 150 hours per year. Programs are open to students, professionals, seniors, groups and families.
To apply they ask you’ll provide an immunization record, letter of reference and completed application.
Their Adopt-A-Floor program is another great iniative you might be interested in getting involved with. See the website for more details.
- Name: Jackson Health System
- Location: 1611 N.W. 12th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136
- Phone: 305-585-6541
- Website: jacksonhealth.org
Kendall Regional Medical Center
Volunteers at Kendall Regional Medical Center assist in all areas including administrative clerical duties, directing visitors and patients and answering phones etc.
Volunteers must be 15 years of age or older.
- Name: Kendall Regional Medical Center
- Location: Kendall Regional Medical Center, 11750 SW 40 St, Miami, FL 33175
- Phone: (305) 227-5538
- Email: KRMC.DLHumanResources@HCAHealthcare.com
- Website: https://kendallmed.com/patients/volunteer-opportunities.dot
Mercy Hospital Volunteer Services is open Monday through Friday and directs opportunities that help touch the lives and hearts of thousands.
Volunteers opportunities include assisting staff with non-clinical tasks in patient care areas, administrative duties and welcoming and directing.
- Name: Mercy Hospital
- Location: Volunteer Services, 3663 S Miami Ave, Miami, FL 33133
- Phone: 305-285-2773
- Email: KRMC.DLHumanResources@HCAHealthcare.com
- Website: https://mercymiami.com/about/volunteers.dot
Mount Sinai Medical Center
Mount Sinai offers volunteer opportunities across their cancer center, information desks, surgical waiting lounge, patient units and more.
Volunteer opportunities are available from four to eight hours daily.
Minimum of 14 years of age.
- Name: Mount Sinai
- Location: Mount Sinai Medical Center, 4300 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL 33140
- Email: EShapiro@msmc.com
- Phone: 305-674-2080
- Website: https://www.msmc.com/visitor-info/volunteer/
University of Miami Hospital and Clinics
UM runs a volunteer program for anyone over the age of 15 wishing to play a part in their mission to deliver compassionate care.
Whether you’re a teenager, professional or retiree, you’re welcome to volunteer your skills and willingess to care.
If you’re interested send an email to email@example.com. You can also learn more about similar opportunities at UM’s Sylvester Compehensive Cancer Center here.
Individuals are expected to volunteer a minimum four hours a day, twice per week for at least six months consecutively. Students may volunteer a minimum 40 hours per year.
Benefits include letters of referral (after reaching 40 hours), important exposure to the healthcare field and a chance to learn new skills and meet people.
- Name: University of Miami Hospital and Clinics (UHealth)
- Location: 1400 NW 12th Ave, Miami, FL
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 305-689-5529
- Website: umiamihealth.org
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
The 309-bed Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, previously known as Miami Children’s Hospital, offers volunteer opps to the following types of people:
- High school students
- Nursing students
- Undergraduate/Graduate clinical students
- General students
- Child life students
- Music therapy students
There’s also opportunities for medical residencies and fellowships too.
To be offered a volunteer placement you’ll have to meet the criteria for each program. Applications are organized and processed by the hospital’s Student Coordinator. The contact form is available here.
- Name: Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
- Location: 3100 S.W. 62nd Ave Miami, FL 33155
- Phone: 305-666-6511
- Website: nicklauschildrens.org
Medical/Hospital Volunteer Opportunities Near Miami
[table id=5 /]
Aventure takes volunteers across various hospital departments including triage, patient comfort and administation.
A Summer Teen Program designed for highschoolers aged 16 and over runs from June to August.
- Name: Aventura Hospital
- Location: Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, 20900 Biscayne Boulevard, Aventura, Florida 33180
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (305) 682-7391
- Website: https://aventurahospital.com/about/volunteers.dot
Boca Raton Regional Hospital
Each year hundreds of people serve as Debbie-Rand Memorial Service League volunteers, meeting the needs of patients, families and staff.
Volunteers act as hospital ambassadors to patients, assist patients and staff on a nursing unit, help with the Pet Therapy program and more.
- Name: Boca Raton Regional Hospital
- Location: 800 Meadows Road Boca Raton, FL 33486
- Phone: 561.955.7100
- Website: https://www.brrh.com/Volunteer.aspx
Broward Health runs volunteer programs for teen/college volunteers, adults and anyone else enthusiastic about helping out.
Teen volunteers must be at least 16 years old and residents of Coral Springs or Parkland.
- Name: Broward Health
- Location: 1800 NW 49th Street, STE. 110, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
- Phone: 954.344.3381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.browardhealth.org/pages/volunteer-opportunities
Volunteer opportunities are available including escorting patients, providing information and more.
Cleveland Clinic Florida has more than 300 teen and adult volunteers who give their time. These individuals contribute approximately 3,000 hours a month supporting staff and guests.
- Name: Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Coral Springs Family Health Center, 5701 North University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33076
- Phone: 866.293.7866
- Website: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/florida/about/volunteer
Holy Cross Hospital
Fort Lauderdale’s Holy Cross Hospital has urgent care centers, practice and healthplexes across Broward and Palm Beach counties.
The Department of Volunteer Services provides opportunities for adults and college students (above the age of 18), as well as highschoolers (must be the child of Holy Cross Associates or Physicians).
Adult volunteers must be able to offer a minimum commitment of 6 months and 8 hours per week. Application forms are available here.
- Name: Holy Cross Hospital
- Location: 4725 N. Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale, FL,
- Phone: (954) 776-3171
- Website: holy-cross.com
Hialeah Hospital volunteers are unsung heroes. They contribute their time to help patients and lend support to hospital staff, making it a warm and welcoming place to receive treatment.
- Name: Hialeah Hospital
- Location: 651 E 25th St, Hialeah, FL 33013
- Phone: (305) 835-4751
- Website: https://www.hialeahhosp.com/about/volunteer-with-us
Palmetto General Hospital
Palmetto General has more than 50 adult vounteers during the year and close to 100 teens during the summer as part of Palmetto’s Volunteer Team.
- Name: Palmetto General Hospital
- Location: 2001 W 68th St, Hialeah, FL 33016
- Phone: (305) 823-5000 ext. 7335
- Website: https://www.palmettogeneral.com/about/volunteer-with-us
Larkin Community Hospital
Larkin Community Hospital has sites in both South Miami and Hialeah. Volunteer programs run at each.
- Name: Larkin Community Hospital
- Location: 7031 SW 62nd Ave, South Miami, FL 33143
- Phone: (305) 284-7500
- Website: https://volunteer.larkinhospital.com/en
Joe Dimagio’s Childrens Hospital
Joe Dimagio’s volunteer program was suspended due to Covid but usually runs throughout the year.
- Name: Larkin Community Hospital
- Location: 1005 Joe DiMaggio Drive, Hollywood, Florida 33021
- Phone: 954-265-5324
- Website: https://www.jdch.com/about/get-involved
Miami (and the South Florida area) has many great options to try when it comes to getting healthcare experience.
The places above could look good on any school application and help give you a taste of this way of life.
If you liked this article, you might find the following useful:
- 13 Medical/Hospital Volunteer Tampa Opportunities (2021)
- Best Medical Schools In Miami (Ultimate Guide)
Why volunteer in Miami/South Florida?
Volunteering opportunities are a great way to do the following:
- Gain vital insight into healthcare careers
- Help give back to people in local communities
- Make valuable healthcare contacts for future admissions help etc.
- Meet new people and learn new skills
Who are these volunteer opportunities for?
Volunteer programs are hospital-dependent but are generally open to highschoolers, professionals, pre-med students and international graduates looking to work in the U.S.
Explore each of the opportunities listed above to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.
It might also be worth contacting each program and explaining your circumstances too. You don’t know for sure unless you ask!
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.