Interested in medical or hospital volunteer opportunities in Kansas City? This article’s for you.
Here we take a look at some of the best programs on offer that can help you gain experience, insight and knowledge of various health care roles.
There’s opportunity for adults, college and high school students too.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in Kansas City, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
Medical/Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Kansas City
North Kansas City Hospital Volunteers
North Kansas City Hospital runs both adult and student (high school and college) volunteer programs across various departments including Pain Management, Cardiac Rehab, Children’s Learning Center, Nursing Units and Emergency Department.
Volunteer shifts are flexible and age dependent.
- Name: North Kansas City Hospital
- Location: 2800 Clay Edwards Drive, North Kansas City, MO 64116
- Phone: 816.691.1684
- Website: https://www.nkch.org/community/involvement/volunteer/
Overland Park Regional Medical Center Volunteer
The Volunteer Department at Overland Park Regional Medical Center offers volunteer opportunities in a variety of clinical and non-clinical areas, including patient care units and outpatient rehab.
Volunteers must be 16 or older. High school students wishing to be considered should provide a minimum one letter of recommendation.
A minimum 4 hours a week, 6 months and 100 hours of service is expected.
- Name: Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Location: 10500 Quivira Road, Overland Park, Kansas City, 66215
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (913) 541-5439
- Website: https://oprmc.com/about/volunteer.dot
KU Medical Center Volunteer
The University of Kansas Health System greatly appreciates a dedicated volunteer workforce. As a member of the team, you’ll work alongside highly trained health care professionals and have your skills and interests matched with the needs of the hospital.
Volunteers are asked for a minimum commitment of 24 hours per week for 4 weeks.
- Name: The University of Kansas Hospital
- Location: Volunteer Services Department, MS 1021, 4000 Cambridge Street, Kansas City, KS 66160
- Email: VolunteerApplications@kumc.edu
- Phone: 913-588-6560
- Website: https://www.kansashealthsystem.com/giving/get-involved/volunteer
St. Luke’s Hospital Volunteers
Saint Luke’s offers a wide range of volunteer opportunities across 11 facility locations including Anderson County Hospital, Saint Luke’s Hospice House, Crittenton Children’s Center, Hedrick Medical Center, Wright Memorial Hospital and both Saint Luke’s East and South Hospitals.
Volunteer opportunities are available for people aged 15 and up. General volunteer orientation and assignment-specific training is required
See the website for individual facility contacts.
- Name: Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City
- Location: 4401 Wornall, Kansas City, MO 64111
- Phone: 816-932-2183
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.saintlukeskc.org/volunteer
St. Joseph Medical Center Volunteer Services
Becoming one of St. Joseph Medical Center’s 250 volunteers means you can help play an important role serving patients, families, physicians and hospital staff.
Volunteer assigments are avaible in patient care areas, staffing projects and more.
Volunteers range from 15-95 years. Training is provided.
- Name: St Joseph Medical Center
- Location: 1000 Carondelet Drive, Kansas City, MO 64114
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 816-943-2774
- Website: https://www.stjosephkc.com/about-us/volunteers/
Providence Medical Center
200 volunteers aged between 14-90 give their time to Providence Medical Center annually.
Commitments are flexible, training is provided and roles are diverse in both patient care areas or community-based activities.
- Name: Providence Medical Center
- Location: 8929 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Phone: 913-596-4195
- Website: https://www.providencekc.com/about-us/volunteer/
KC Care Health Center
KC Care’s 700 strong volunteer support team makes a crucial difference in the lives of their patients giving up 25,000 hours annually. Positions run across different Kansas City centers; Homeroom Health, Midtown, Northeast and Research Medical Campus.
Clinical volunteers must commit to “twice a month” minimum. Roles include medical support, patient services screener and registration assistant.
- Name: AdventHealth for Children
- Location: 3515 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64111
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 816.777.2761
- Website: https://kccare.org/get-involved/volunteer/
Truman Medical Center Volunteer Opportunities
As a volunteer at Truman Medican Centers/University Health, you can discover the joy and satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference in the lives of many.
Programs exist across two campuses, Truman Medical Center Health Sciences District (TMC HSD) and Truman Medical Center (TMC) Lakewood.
You can work assisting patients, staff, visitors and our long-term care residents.
Summer youth vounteering (14 to 17 years old) and high school student healthcare shadowing is also available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Name: Truman Medical Center Health Sciences District
- Location: 2301 Holmes Street, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 816.404.3300
- Website: https://www.trumed.org/about-us/volunteer-opportunities/
Children’s Mercy Kansas City
Children’s Mercy Kansas City has volunteer opportunities for adults, college and high school students, groups and volunteers with disabilities.
Volunteers must be over 16 and are expected to perform core duties independently after an initial training period.
- Name: Children’s Mercy Kansas City
- Location: 2401 Gillham Road, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (816) 234-3496
- Website: https://www.childrensmercy.org/ways-to-give/volunteer-at-the-hospital/
Kansas City is a great place for health volunteering. Hopefully this article has helped uncover several opportunities to get started with.
If you enjoyed this article, you might find the following useful:
- 7 Medical/Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Orlando, Fl (2021)
- 10 Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Orange County (2021)
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In Kansas City?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In Kansas City?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Kansas City Hospital Volunteer Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for highschoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.