There’s a bunch of opportunities to become a hospital volunteer in Dallas.
From University run programs to private healthcare auxiliary groups, there’s a lot here for adults, teenagers, healthcare students, and anyone else interested in giving back to the local Dallas community.
Take a look at the the following programs and hopefully you’ll find something to help get you started.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in Dallas, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
List Of Opportunities For Medical/Hospital Volunteers In Dallas
Baylor University Medical Center Volunteers
Volunteers at Baylor University Medical Center, part of Baylor Scott & White Health, bring a unique, personal touch to their care. Sharing time, talents and passions makes a big difference!
Here are the types of opportunities available:
- Adult Program (adults 25 years and older)
- Summer Student Program (ages 15 through college)
Areas for volunteers in Dallas include:
- Hospital support
- Family support
- Staff support
- Community support
- Specialty programs
Volunteers undergo background checks and general health screenings.
Here’s a word from a 101-year-old hospital volunteer at the group…
- Name: Baylor University Medical Center
- Location: 3500 Gaston Ave., Dallas, Texas, 75246
- Phone: 1.844.279.3627
- Website: https://www.bswhealth.com/locations/dallas/about/become-a-volunteer
Children’s Health Dallas is hugely grateful for its many hospital friends and volunteers.
Individuals looking to give back to the group, can take part in a several different ways:
- Adult volunteer program (for those aged 18 and over)
- Student volunter program (16 and over running throughout the summer)
- Volunteer dogs
- Group service projects and events
Volunteering takes place at any of their 3 centers; Dallas, Plano, and the Children’s House Location.
Here’s a word from Children’s Health virtual volunteers…
- Name: Children’s Health
- Location: 1935 Medical District Drive, Dallas, Texas 75235
- Phone: 844-424-4537
- Website: https://www.childrens.com/get-involved/volunteer
City Hospital at White Rock Dallas Volunteers
Volunteering at City Hospital at White Rock is a rewarding, hands-on experience that makes a difference in the lives of patients and their loved ones.
At City Hospital at White Rock, they value volunteers who are truly an essential piece of the puzzle. Commitment can be as little as one 4-hour shift a week, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Evening and weekends are on an as-needed basis.
- Adult volunteering
- Year-round student volunteering
- Summer volunteer program for students (minimum 15 years of age)
Volunteers can help with patient care, liasion, administrative tasks and more.
- Name: City Hospital at White Rock
- Location: 9440 Poppy Dr, Dallas, TX 75218
- Phone: (214) 324-6547
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.cityhospital.co/careers-and-volunteering/
Cook Children’s Volunteers Dallas & Fort Worth
Volunteers are an important part of the healing that happens at Cook Children’s. Volunteers make a difference for patients and families every day through the gift of their time, energy, and talents.
Volunteers serve in 60 different placements including surgery, radiology, child life, registration, outpatient specialty and community clinics, and at locations throughout Tarrant County (Southlake, Grapevine, Hurst, Fort Worth).
The following programs are offered:
- Adult volunteers (18 and over)
- College volunteers
- Junior volunteers (ages 15-18)
Cook Children’s also offers specialty programs such as its Volunteer Management Intern and Child Life Summer Student Volunteer Programs.
See the website for their current volunteering needs and roles.
- Name: Cook Children’s Health Care System
- Location: Fort Worth, TX
- Phone: 682-885-4000
- Website: https://cookchildrens.org/giving/volunteers/Pages/adult-volunteers.aspx
Medical City Dallas Volunteering
Volunteerism is a huge part of the success at Medical City. Volunteers at Medical City Dallas and Medical City Children’s Hospital serve in more than 30 areas of the hospital.
The group runs two programs:
- Student Volunteer Program (High School and College)
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16-years-old at the time of application. There are 3 semester programs.
- Adult Volunteer Program
- MUST commit to one 4-hour shift per week, every week.
Here’s an insight into how volunteering at Medical City Dallas can look…
- Name: Medical City Dallas
- Location: 7777 Forest Ln, Dallas, TX 75230
- Phone: (972) 566-7066
- Website: https://medicalcityhealthcare.com/locations/medical-city-dallas/patients-visitors/volunteering/
Methodist Health System Volunteers
Volunteering at Methodist Health System allows you to play a key role in the lives of others — patients, visitors, and hospital staff.
In 2017, more than 1,181 community members volunteered at Methodist, serving more than 169,395 hours!
Volunteers offer vital support throughout the hospital in both patient care and nonclinical areas.
Here are just some of the roels you can get involved with:
- Greet guests, provide information or directions, or escort guests
- Lend a helping hand in clerical departments
- Provide comfort rounds on patients
- Support families in waiting rooms
- Help in the hospital gift shop
Here’s a rallying call from the Methodist Healthcare Auxiliary group for more volunteers!
- Name: Methodist Health System
- Location: 1441 N Beckley Ave, Dallas, TX 75203
- Phone: 214-947-8181
- Website: https://www.methodisthealthsystem.org/giving/volunteers/
Parkland Health & Hospital Volunteers
Dallas’ Parkland Health offers several rewarding hospital volunteer opportunites that combine caring for people with services that provide comfort to patients and families. Parkland welcomes individuals of all backgrounds and abilities looking to volunteer.
You can volunteer in one of the following areas:
- Hospital support
- Staff support
- Community support
- Specialty programs
Prospective volunteers must attend an orientation and undergo background checks.
- Name: Parkland Health & Hospital System
- Location: 5200 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75235
- Phone: 469-419-0808
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.parklandhospital.com/volunteers
Scottish Rite for Children Volunteers
Volunteers make Scottish Rite for Children Dallas a special place for patients and families and are an integral part of the daily activities.
Volunteers have diverse skills and interests but share a common goal – supporting Scottish Rite’s mission of giving children back their childhood.
- Empty nesters
- Working professionals
- Community volunteers
Applicants myst be 18 years of age or older who are no longer in high school. The adult volunteer program is open year round. A junior volunteer program is also available.
- Name: Scottish Rite for Children
- Location: 2222 Welborn Street, Dallas, Texas 75219
- Phone: 214-559-5000
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://scottishriteforchildren.org/get-involved/volunteer
Texas Health Resources Volunteers
Texas Health Dallas, part of Texas Health Resources hospital group, has several clinical volunteering programs running at several locations across the city and wider North Texas area.
- Adult volunteering
- Specialized volunteer programs
- Academic volunteer programs
- Ambassador and community programs
The types of roles and responsibilities available, cover several areas:
- Office and clerical
- Information desks
- Emergency department
- Patient care floors
Volunteers will undergo an onboarding process that involves background checks and interviews.
Here’s a quick snapshot into what you can expect as a volunteer with the group:
- Name: Texas Health Resources
- Location: 612 E. Lamar Boulevard, Arlington, TX 76011
- Phone: 1-877-847-9355
- Website: https://www.texashealth.org/en/Volunteer
Dallas is a great city for health volunteering. Hopefully, this article has helped uncover some great opportunities to help you get started learning more about healthcare in North Texas.
Found this article useful? You might find the following guide a good read:
- 8 Best Opportunities For Hospital Volunteers In Augusta, GA!
- 7 Best Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In San Antonio! (2021)
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In Dallas?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In Dallas?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds (unless otherwise stated).
Summer programs are generally for high school students looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students, professionals, and retirees.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first before you spend your time applying.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in digital marketing and journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.