There’s a stack of opportunities to become a hospital volunteer in Augusta, GA.
From University-established programs to private healthcare auxiliaries, there’s a lot here for adults, teenagers, healthcare students, and anyone else interested in giving back to the local community.
Have a read over the following programs and hopefully you’ll find something that suits.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in Augusta, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
List Of Opportunities For Medical/Hospital Volunteers In Augusta, GA
Augusta University Volunteer Services
Augusta University Volunteer Services is dedicated to helping Augusta University fulfill its mission to set the standard of excellence in education, research, and clinical care. Volunteers continue to grow and support staff, patients, and families.
Volunteer opportunities exist for anyone (not just students) willing to donate their time and skills.
- Escort liasion
- Inpatient liasion
- Gift shop
- Pet therapy
- Healing arts
Here’s a taste of what you an expect as an AU Health Escort Liasion Volunteer.
Groups and organizations interested in volunteering are also welcome.
- Name: Augusta University Volunteer Services
- Location: 1120 15th Street, AA-171, Augusta, GA 30912
- Phone: 706-721-3596
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.augusta.edu/volunteer/
Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center
The Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center offers a variety of health services to meet the needs of our Augusta and Georgia State’s Veterans
Volunteer positions are very important to the functionality of the VA Medical Center and should be taken seriously.
Assignments come with set days and times which need to be adhered to in order for this program to operate at its full potential.
Refer to the website for more information.
- Name: Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center – Uptown Division
- Location: 1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA 30904
- Phone: (706) 733-0188
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.augusta.va.gov/giving/How_do_I_Become_a_Volunteer.asp
Children’s Hospital of Georgia
Opened in 1998, the Children’s Hospital of Georgia is a 149-bed 220,000-square-foot facility.
The hospital has a volunteer program run through Augusta Health and run summer camps for the children in their care, that thousands of volunteers put hours into.
Other programs to get involved with include:
- Heroes Program
- Safe Kids Greater Augusta
- Reach Out and Read
Contact via email to enquire about further opportunities.
- Name: Children’s Hospital of Georgia
- Location: 1446 Harper Street, Augusta, GA 30912
- Phone: 706-721-KIDS (5437)
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.augustahealth.org/locations/childrens-hospital-of-georgia
Doctors Hospital Volunteers
Volunteers at Doctors Hospital get a chance to give back to the community while educating themselves about the healthcare industry.
Becoming a volunteer is straightforward. Reach out via email or fill out the application form on their website.
Doctors Hospital Volunteers asks for volunteers to spare four hours each week.
Opportunities exist for:
- Greeting and guiding patients and visitors.
- Keeping in touch with the surgical progress of a patient.
- Keeping families of Emergency Department patients informed.
- Delivering newspapers to patients.
- Offering assistance in outpatient areas.
- Clerical support.
- Name: Doctors Hospital of Augusta
- Location: 3651 Wheeler Rd, Augusta, GA 30909
- Phone: (706) 651-2400
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.mainlinehealth.org/ways-to-give/bryn-mawr-hospital-foundation/volunteer-opportunities
Ronald McDonald House Charities Augusta
Here’s what Ronald McDonald House says about the role its volunteers play…
As a volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House of Augusta, you are the first voice a mother hears on the telephone or the first smiling face a family sees at the door after a long day at the hospital. By volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, you will have a direct and lasting impact on a family going through one of the most difficult times in their life. Most importantly, when you volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House, you are helping make this house a home for 23 families every day.
As you can see, they value their volunteers!
Here are the types of volunteer opportunities you can find with RMHC:
- Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
- Receptionist Volunteer
- House Warmer Volunteer
- Happy Wheels Cart Volunteer
- Group Volunteer
Here’s a snapshot into what to expect as a volunteer at Ronald McDonald House…
At the time of this video’s shooting, volunteer programs were closed due to the pandemic. Check back for further updates!
- Name: RMHC Augusta
- Location: 1442 Harper Street, Augusta, Georgia 30901
- Phone: 706-724-5901
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://rmhcaugusta.org/get-involved-2/volunteer-2/
Trinity Hospital of Augusta Volunteers
The Trinity Hospital of Augusta Auxiliary was organized on January 25, 1965, and since that time has grown from a group of 72 ladies to over 200 men and women.
The hospital has a range of hospital volunteering options, including Adult, Junor and Hospice Volunteer Programs. The hospital asks for a minimum of 50 hours volunteering per year.
Currently, volunteers staff the following services: Information Desk, Dismissal Escorts, Mail and Flower Delivery, Gift Shop, Youth Volunteer Program, Patient Transportation, Staff Support, Radiology, Central and Day Surgery reception, Family Focused Child Birth and where ever called upon.
The Summer Junior Volunteer Program is for young people aged 14-18.
- Name: Trinity Hospital of Augusta
- Location: 2260 Wrightsboro Road, Augusta, GA 30904
- Phone: (706) 481-7454
- Website: https://www.trinityofaugusta.com/About/Pages/Volunteer
University Health Volunteer Services
University Health has one of the longest-running volunteer service programs in Augusta, running since 1949. Donating more than 37,000 hours of service in 35 departments each year, volunteers play an important role in University Health’s community work.
Popular volunteer opportunities at the hospital include:
- Information Center
- Waiting Room
- Clerical/Office Assistant
- Physical/Occupational Therapy
- Cardiopulmonary Rehab
- Neonatal Unit
- Emergency Department
Adult volunteers must complete an application, attend an orientation, purchase a uniform and give at least six hours a month in a designated service.
Junior volunteers (teens) aged between 14-18 also have the opportunity to volunteer, participating in the Junior Volunteer Program throughout the summer.
- Name: University Health Care System
- Location: 1350 Walton Way, Augusta, GA
- Phone: 706-722-9011
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.universityhealth.org/charitable-giving/volunteer/
Volunteering With The Lydia Project
The Lydia Project provides free services to individuals fighting any type cancer anywhere. This support includes ongoing correspondence and encouragement every month for at least twelve months.
Men and women needing overnight stay to receive cancer treatment or testing in the CSRA find incredible help from Lydia’s lodging services.
Volunteers enjoy helping in many areas, some from all over the nation:
- Assisting guests and their caregivers in the lodging area
- Assisting in the agency office in Augusta with phone calls, requests for totes, prayer, support, or emergency assistance needs
Check out their website for more information.
- Name: The Lydia Project
- Location: 1369 Interstate Parkway, Augusta, GA 30909-5626
- Phone: 706-736-5142
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.thelydiaproject.org/common/content.asp?PAGE=345
Augusta is an awesome place for health volunteering. Hopefully, this article has helped uncover some great opportunities to get started with if you live in the city and the nearby Georgia state area.
Found this article useful? You might find the following guide a good read:
- 15 Best Opportunities For Hospital Volunteers In Philadelphia! (2021)
- 9 Best Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Dallas! (2021)
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In Augusta, GA?
Volunteering in a hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and help you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In Augusta, GA?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted on to baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds (unless otherwise stated).
Summer programs are generally for high school students looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students, professionals, and retirees.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first before you spend your time applying.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.