Hospital volunteering in Chicago is great for people looking to lend a helping hand and learn more about healthcare.
The work you do in any of the following organizations, could help make a big difference in patient’s lives and give you a unique opportunity to learn more about various healthcare roles.
Hospital Volunteer Opportunities In Chicago
|UChicago Medicine||uchicagomedicine.org||5841 S. Maryland Avenue|
|Northwestern Medicine||nm.org||251 E. Huron St|
|AMITA Health Saint Joseph Hospital||amitahealth.org||2900 N Lake Shore Dr|
|Community Health||communityhealth.org||2611 W. Chicago Ave|
|Loyola University||luc.edu||1032 West Sheridan Road Sullivan Center 262|
|University of Illinois||hospital.uillinois.edu||1740 West Taylor St|
|Mobile Care||mobilecarechicago.org||239 W Root St|
|Children's Hospital of Chicago||luriechildrens.org||225 E. Chicago Ave|
|DePaul College of Science and Health||csh.depaul.edu||1 E. Jackson|
|Swedish Hospital||swedishcovenant.org||5140 N. California Ave|
|Shriners Hospitals for Children||shrinershospitalsforchildren.org||2211 N. Oak Park Ave|
|Mercy Hospital Chicago||mercy-chicago.org||2525 S Michigan Ave|
|Howard Brown Health||howardbrown.org||4025 N. Sheridan Road|
|Weiss Memorial Hospital||weisshospital.com||4646 N. Marine Drive|
|Loretto Hospital||lorettohospital.org||645 South Central Avenue|
UChicago Med offers volunteer placements on their main campus and at UChicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital.
Volunteers must be a minimum 16 years of age and must serve six consecutive months and 100 hours of service in a year. Shadowing/internship opportunities are available for those contacting departments directly.
- Name: The University of Chicago Medicine
- Location: 5841 S. Maryland Avenue
- Phone: 773-702-1000
- Website: uchicagomedicine.org/give/volunteer
Northwestern Medicine has various medical volunteering opportunities available across several of its associated hospitals.
Volunteers should be 16 or over.
- Name: Northwestern Medicine
- Location: 251 E. Huron St.Chicago, IL 60611
- Phone: 312.926.2000
- Website: nm.org/patients-and-visitors/volunteer
AMITA Health Saint Joseph Hospital
Chicago’s Saint Joseph Hospital offers adults and students annual volunteer positions via their Volunteer Services Department.
Medical volunteers can expect to gain exposure to health care roles across a range of departments, units and clinics. Applicants must be a minimum 15 years of age.
- Name: AMITA Health Saint Joseph Hospital
- Location: 200 S. Wacker Dr. Chicago, IL 60606
- Phone: 855-692-6482
- Email: Pamela.Murphy@AMITAHealth.org
- Website: amitahealth.org/about-us/volunteer-programs/
Chicago’s Community Health organization offers a range of medical volunteering roles across their clinics.
Positions include dental, health education, lab, pharmacy technician and triage volunteers.
- Name: Community Health
- Location: West Town, 2611 W. Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
- Phone: 773.395.9900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: communityhealth.org/clinic-volunteer-opportunities/
Loyola University offers volunteer-based health positions across 80+ clinics in the Chicago area.
- Name: Loyola University
- Location:1032 West Sheridan Road Sullivan Center 262, Chicago, IL 60660
- Phone: 773-508-3636
- Website: luc.edu/prehealth/studentopportunities/volunteeropportunities/
University of Illinois
UI Health is a diverse and dynamic group of over 600 volunteers who are dedicated to providing exceptional care and services to patients and families.
Volunteers must be over 16 and must make a commitment of 12 months of service with a minimum 8 hours each month.
- Name: University of Illinois Hospital
- Location: 1740 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612
- Website: hospital.uillinois.edu/volunteer-services
Mobile Care offers unique volunteering positions for people to help provide medical and dental care in Asthma and Dental Vans travelling across Chicago.
Volunteers must make at least a 3 month commitment and be able to work one shift either weekly or bi-weekly.
- Name: Mobile Care Chicago
- Location: 239 W Root St, Chicago, IL 60609
- Phone: 773-254-4030
- Website: mobilecarechicago.org
Children’s Hospital of Chicago
Volunteer positions here are available in outpatient clinics, family life centers, pre/post surgery and inpatient units.
Volunteers must be a minimum 16 years of age. Opportunities for high schoolers are mostyle during the summer program.
- Name: Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Location: 225 E. Chicago Ave. Chicago, IL 60611
- Phone: 312-227-3388
- Website: luriechildrens.org
DePaul College of Science and Health
DePaul offers volunteering, shadowing, student research, internships, enrichment programs and other experiential learning opportunities for people with an interest in healthcare.
- Name: DePaul College of Science and Health
- Location: 1 E. Jackson, Chicago, IL 60604
- Phone: (312) 362-8000
- Website: csh.depaul.edu
Chicago’s Swedish Hospital offers volunteers a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients, families and the surrounding community.
- Name: Swedish Hospital
- Location: 5140 N. California Ave, Chicago, IL 60625
- Email: SWVolunteers@schosp.org
- Website: swedishcovenant.org
Shriners Hospitals for Children
Shriners Hospitals for Children offers volunteers important exposure to a unique health care environment while gaining a rewarding experience working with kids and families from diverse cultures.
Volunteers must be at least 18 and able to commit to two to four hours per week.
- Name: Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Location: 2211 N. Oak Park Ave. Chicago, IL 60707
- Phone: 773-622-5400
- Website: shrinershospitalsforchildren.org
Mercy Hospital Chicago
Mercy Hospitals volunteer tradition has a long history of caring for patients across their hospital and clinics.
- Name: Mercy Hospital Chicago
- Location: 2525 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60616
- Phone: (312) 567-2000
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: mercy-chicago.org/volunteering
Howard Brown Health
Howard Brown has several volunteer opportunities for people looking to gain more insight into health care environments and community outreach.
- Name: Howard Brown Health
- Location: 4025 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60613
- Phone: 773-388-1600
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: howardbrown.org/get-involved/volunteer/
Weiss Memorial Hospital
Weiss Memorial Hospital has several volunteer positions in clerical and patient-facing roles. Volunteers must be 13 years or over.
- Name: Weiss Memorial Hospital
- Location: 4646 N. Marine Drive, Chicago, IL 60640
- Phone: 773-878-8700
- Website: weisshospital.com/for-professionals/volunteer-at-weiss/
Whether your interest is personal, educational or social, Loretto Hospital has a volunteer position for you.
As a not-for-profit, community based organization, your help could make a big difference here.
- Name: Loretto Hospital
- Location: 645 South Central Avenue Chicago, IL 60644
- Phone: (773) 626-4300
- Website: lorettohospital.org
Project Hope is offering multiple opportunities for medical volunteers in Chicago in the wake of COVID-19.
Volunteers will visit long-term care facilities to help bolster efforts to educate staff in infection prevention control (IPC) measures.
- Name: Project Hope
- Website: projecthope.org
Why become a hospital volunteer in Chicago?
Volunteering in a healthcare capacity in Chicago can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections and friends you make in any of the roles above, is something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees.
Who are these hospital volunteer opportunities for?
These volunteer opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for highschoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first.
Chicago is a fantastic city to gain valuable medical volunteering experience.
The opportunities above can hopefully get you started!
If you liked this guide, you might find the following articles useful:
Image Credit: @Brad Knight at Unsplash
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in digital marketing and journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.