California’s San Jose has a strong and vibrant clinical volunteering community.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best programs for San Jose residents and visitors, as well as several more for those located in the nearby Northern California territory.
Before we get into the list of hospital volunteer programs in San Jose, make sure you check out our other city guides and find more hospital volunteer opportunities near you.
Hospital Volunteer Listings In San Jose
|Regional Medical Center of San Jose||CA 95116||408-259-5000||regionalmedicalsanjose.com|
|El Camino Health||CA 94040||650-940-7000||elcaminohealth.org|
|Kaiser Permanente North California Volunteer Services||CA 95119||408-972-3000||volunteer-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org|
|Good Samaritan Hospital||CA 95124||408-559-2011||goodsamsanjose.com|
|Santa Clara Valley Medical Center||CA 95128||408-885-5000||scvmc.org|
|American Red Cross (Santa Clara Valley)||CA 95134||408-577-1000||scv–redcross.org|
|Hospice of the Valley||CA 9512||408-559-5616||hospicevalley.org|
|Pathways Home Health and Hospice||CA 94085||888-978-1306||pathwayshealth.org|
|O’Connor Hospital||CA 95128||408-885-2585||och.sccgov.org|
|NAMI Santa Clara County||CA 95128||408-453-0400||namisantaclara.org|
Regional Medical Center
Regional Medical Center San Jose has many opportunities for adults and high school students interested in working in a variety of hospital settings.
The volunteer department brings friendliness and comfort to the hospital, working closely with individuals to match assignments to interests.
Areas of volunteer involvement include:
- Emergency Department
- Surgical Area
- Pre-Surgical Area
- Hospitality Cart
- Front Desk
There is a minimum three months of shifts expected of new volunteers in the Front Desk and Dispersal areas.
The adult volunteer program is available to anyone over 18 while the junior program is open to high school students aged 15-17.
Here’s an insight into what life is like at Regional Medical…
- Name: Regional Medical Center of San Jose
- Location: 225 North Jackson Ave, San Jose, CA 95116
- Phone: 408-259-5000
- Website: regionalmedicalsanjose.com/community/volunteer-activities
El Camino Health
El Camino Health Auxiliares pride themselves on giving back to community initiatives and helping patients with spiritual support, grief counseling, and liaison services.
The group is home to more than 1,400 volunteers, working across the following institutions in San Jose and the Bay Area…
- El Camino Hospital Auxiliary and RoadRunners
- Spiritual Care and Care Companion Service
- Health Library and Resource Center
- Chinese Health Initiative
- South Asian Heart Center
- El Camino Health Foundation
The group provides training and orientation while volunteers can expect to free access to educational classes and other hospital resources.
- Name: El Camino Health
- Location: 2500 Grant Rd, Mountain View, CA 94040
- Phone: 650-940-7000
- Website: elcaminohealth.org/give-back/volunteer
Kaiser Permanente North California Volunteer Services
Just as they do in other parts of the U.S., Kaiser Permanente run a very passionate volunteer branch throughout San Jose and the surrounding area.
As a volunteer at the group, you’ll help provide high quality health care and a be a key communciation link between patients, families and staff.
You must 18 years or older as an adult applicant and able to commit to a 4 hour shift, once weekly.
High school students should enquire with Kaiser Permanente North California directly to see about the potential of volunteering.
- Name: Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center
- Location: 250 Hospital Pkwy, San Jose, CA 95119
- Phone: 408-972-3000
- Website: volunteer-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital looks to volunteers to help them provide kind, compassionate, non-clinical assistance to patients and loved ones.
Interested participants are asked to complete health testing and a 3-hour basic training orientation. A commitment of one year service is required, with a typical weekly shift between 2-4 hours.
The hospital also as a NICU baby cuddling program but with a long waitlist.
There is also a high school student program.
Here’s a more detailed introduction to the group…
- Name: Good Samaritan Hospital
- Location: 2425 Samaritan Dr, San Jose, CA 95124
- Phone: 408-559-2011
- Website: goodsamsanjose.com/community/become-a-volunteer
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (SCVMC) volunteers directly benefit their patients with the care they help provide the community.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and willing to work at least one 4 hour shift each week. SVCMC also asks for at least 100 hours of service over six consecutive months.
During your first 100 hours of service you’ll be asked to serve at the Information Desk, Hospital Gift Shop or Volunteer Services Office. Upon completion, you’ll then be placed in areas of your own interest and hospital need.
Opportunities exist in the following areas:
- Inpatient and outpatient clinics
- Physical Therapy
- Primary or Specialty Care
- Surgical Patient/Family Waiting Areas
- Medical Library Pharmacy Services
See the website for more information.
- Name: Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Location: 751 S. Bascom Ave., San Jose, CA 95128
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 408-885-5000
- Website: scvmc.org/giving-and-volunteering/Volunteer-Services
American Red Cross (Santa Clara Valley)
The local American Red Cross chapter in Santa Clara Valley is another excellent place to volunteer and give your time.
Respond to emergencies, help run community programs, give and get first aid training and more. Be the change you wish to see in your community!
- Name: American Red Cross (Santa Clara Valley)
- Location: 2731 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95134
- Phone: 408-577-1000
- Website: scv–redcross.org
Hospice of the Valley
Hospice of the Valley has distinct volunteer programs in areas including:
- Complementary Services – Volunteers offer a variety of services including massage and aromatherapy to nurture physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being
- Calm Companions – A vigiling program which provides support to individuals who are imminently dying and their families
- Vet-to-Vet Program – Connects volunteers and patients who have served in the military to provide camaraderie and companionship through shared experiences
- Pet Companions – Specially-trained therapy dogs offer companionship and comfort to patients and families
- Teen Program – Matches teens with hospice patients to provide friendship, practical help, and companionship and allow for growth and discovery for both.
Other ways volunteers can contribute include clerical support, community outreach, fundraising and direct patient care.
The group asks for volunteers interested in patient care to attend a 25-hour comprehensive Training Program. All other volunteers are expected to attend a one-day orientation only.
Here’s Longtime Hospice of the Valley volunteer Roberta Williams talking about her experiences volunteering with the group…
- Name: Hospice of the Valley
- Location: 850 Union Avenue, San Jose, California, CA 9512
- Contact: email@example.com
- Phone: 408-559-5616
- Website: hospicevalley.org/how-you-can-help
Pathways Health Volunteers
Pathways Home Health and Hospice Group has several different opportunities for people looking for clinical or hospital-based volunteer work.
Here are the main ways to give back:
- Patient and Family Support Volunteer
- Veteran Volunteer
- Office Volunteer
- Licensed/Certified Therapies Volunteer
- Special Projects Volunteer
- Corporate Volunteer
- Bereavement Intern Volunteer
- Training and Support Volunteers
See the website for more information.
- Name: Pathways Home Health and Hospice
- Location: 585 N Mary Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
- Contact: VolunteerServices@commonspirithealthathome.org
- Phone: 888-978-1306
- Website: pathwayshealth.org/volunteer-opportunities/
O’Connor Hospital has a long running Hospital Volunteer program that temporarily closed during the pandemic but is set to come back.
Since the programs beginning in 1952, volunteers have donated more than 2 million hours to the service.
Volunteers must be 16 or over to apply and willing to dedicate 6 months service or more.
- Name: O’Connor Hospital
- Location: 2105 Forest Ave, San Jose, CA 95128
- Contact: VMCvolunteer@hhs.sccgov.org
- Phone: 408-885-2585
- Website: och.sccgov.org/giving-and-volunteering
NAMI Santa Clara County
NAMI Santa Clara County looks to volunteers to help maintain their programs and services centered on mental health care in the community.
- General office work
- Annual events
Volunteers must be over the age of 18, except for certain annual community events when they can be supervised by an adult.
- Name: NAMI Santa Clara County
- Location: 1150 S. Bascom Ave., Suite 24, San Jose, CA 95128
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 408-453-0400
- Website: namisantaclara.org/get-involved
San Jose is a good place for healthcare and clinical-based volunteering. Hopefully, this article has helped show you what’s out there in the hopes of getting started.
Found this article useful? You might find the following guide a good read:
Why Be A Hospital Volunteer In San Jose?
Volunteering in hospitals and clinics can have a positive impact on the community.
The skills, connections, and friends you make in any of the roles above, are something that’ll stay with you for a long time.
The experience also looks great on applications for healthcare-related degrees and helps you impress any relevant admissions boards.
Can I Be A Baby Cuddler Volunteer In San Jose?
There are baby cuddler volunteer opportunities at the following organizations:
- Good Samaritan Hospital
You will have to match the eligibility criteria and undergo screening successfully before being accepted onto baby cuddler volunteer programs.
Who Are These San Jose Hospital Volunteer Opportunities For?
These opportunities are broad and open to people from all backgrounds.
Summer programs are generally for high schoolers looking to get a taste of healthcare fields while general volunteering positions are available to both students and professionals.
Check that you meet the criteria and eligibility for each opportunity first.
Born and raised in the UK, Will went into medicine late (31) after a career in journalism. He’s into football (soccer), learned Spanish after 5 years in Spain, and has had his work published all over the web. Read more.